How to donate

Make tax-deductible checks payable to: Help Hope Live, with "In honor of Cash Burnaman" in the memo section

Mail to: Help Hope Live, 150 N. Radnor Chester Road, Suite F-120, Radnor, PA 19087

For credit card donations, please call 800-642-8399 or visit helphopelive.org (enter Cash Burnaman into the Find a Patient field.)
__________________________________________________________________________


Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Touching

Last night our neighbor Shelley and her little girl Hannah came over. Watching Cash interact with Hannah made me think a little about Cash's autism. He likes kids - he was thrilled to see Hannah - and he will do some interacting around a toy. But Cash was reluctant to hug Hannah (who he likes very much) and he pushed her away almost immediately. I pester him with kisses and hugs constantly, which he seems to mostly tolerate. Sometimes he seems to like it and seek it out, and other times he pushes me away too. I know normal kids don't always want to be bothered, but I just wonder how Cash feels about touch. He likes to be tickled, he likes to be carried, and sometimes he likes to be cuddled, so I know he doesn't object to all touch. But hugging seems to be hard for him - he has hugged me, but I can just see in his eyes that is uncomfortable for him.

I don't have any answers, I'm just musing. I insist on touching him all the time, and I always have, and I guess I believe that even though he sometimes moves away, he appreciates the affection from me. I'm sure that it makes him feel loved, just like the rest of us. Plus, picking him up when he is crying consoles him and he likes to snuggle in the mornings. But he is also obviously not thrilled about other touches. I wish he could share with me what he is feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment