How to donate

Make tax-deductible checks payable to: Help Hope Live, with "In honor of Cash Burnaman" in the memo section

Mail to: Help Hope Live, 150 N. Radnor Chester Road, Suite F-120, Radnor, PA 19087

For credit card donations, please call 800-642-8399 or visit helphopelive.org (enter Cash Burnaman into the Find a Patient field.)
__________________________________________________________________________


Friday, September 9, 2011

Tough day

Awful, awful. Today I met with the special ed team for Cash's new school. It was just so hard. I know they are all nice people but it was so negative. In the past, we have always talked about Cash's strengths and then built goals from there and everyone talks about how much they love him. Today, we just used his existing IEP to talk about what would be appropriate placement for the coming year. They recommended that he be in a preschool classroom with 7 other mentally and physically handicapped children. I know that is what Cash is - I really do know it, I'm not stupid - but I hate HATE hearing it in a clinical way. It is brutal. It is devastating all over again.

I cried alot. Ultimately I think it will be fine - we visited the classroom and met his teacher, and it all looks good. In fact, I think Ms. Jan will challenge Cash in some interesting ways. She believes in the power of "no" which until now Cash has seen as a suggestion only. He will be in school (Mitchell Road Elementary) from about 8:15 to 2:15 Monday through Friday, and he will get Speech, OT, and PT each once a week. I think he will do well and they certainly seem competent.

On top of what was a very emotional afternoon, I'm now on my way to dinner with my ATI classmates. I am feeling some social anxiety. Some, ha, that's an understatement.

No comments:

Post a Comment