How to donate

Make tax-deductible checks payable to: Help Hope Live, with "In honor of Cash Burnaman" in the memo section

Mail to: Help Hope Live, 150 N. Radnor Chester Road, Suite F-120, Radnor, PA 19087

For credit card donations, please call 800-642-8399 or visit (enter Cash Burnaman into the Find a Patient field.)

Monday, January 3, 2011

Our day

Today Cash got a shot in his neck (not in his spinal cord, but in the muscles). Tomorrow he is getting an injection into the base of his spinal cord, and then afterward he has to lie still for four hours. Can you imagine getting a five year old to lie still for four hours?! I'm not sure how we are going to manage it.

Special procedures are actually pretty frequent, but here's what a "regular" day looks like: Wake up around 8:00am, breakfast is delivered to our room at 8:30am. Cash always has an egg of some kind. We feed Cash, put away the beds, get dressed, and go Special Needs therapy with Dr. Rahool at 10:00am. Cash plays on the computer for about 45 minutes, while one of us gives Dr. Rahool the positive reinforcement he seems to need. The other person might chill out in the room or go walk around the neighborhood - we try to take turns being with Cash during therapies. Then Cash has Physio at 10:45am with Donish - Cash gets a little massage, he sits on an exercise ball, he walks on the stairs, he practices climbing. He is done with Physio at 11:30 and we return to the room. Sometimes we go for a walk then, but often we hang out at home because there are miscellaneous things to do, like get an injection or have the room cleaned. Having the room cleaned involves the ward boys sweeping, dusting, mopping, and emptying the trash. They also refill our basic food supplies if needed (the clinic provides milk, bread, butter, jam, cereal, tea, coffee, and cookies in the little kitchen area in our room). Lunch is served at 12:30 (today was some excellent chana dal), and then Cash has OT for 30 minutes with Dr. Eddy at 1:30pm. He finishes up therapies with a second session of Physio at 2:30pm, by which time he is grumpy and has to be bribed to do anything. At 3:00pm we go back to the room and the rest of the day is semi-free. I say semi because there's usually something to do and it gets dark early. Typical afternoon activities include napping, blogging, and yoga at 4:30pm on Mondays Wednesdays and Fridays. Dinner is served at 6:30pm, and then we usually watch TV and Skype in the evenings. Cash sometimes gets another injection. It is all pretty slow-paced yet structured. It does not leave a lot of time for exploring Delhi, but that is not what we are here for.

Weekends are free, so that is when we take a taxi and brave the wild traffic to see the city. Mom and I are hoping to visit the Taj Mahal this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment